Casper vs Sleeping Duck
Casper and Sleeping Duck mattresses are part of the new revolution in advanced foam mattresses. In this guide, we'll be comparing the two brands, and seeing which is more suitable for your needs.
Prices and sizes
Both mattresses come in a range of UK and EU sizes, with the largest being a super king. Casper mattresses come in at around £50 cheaper than Sleeping Duck.
The Casper and Sleeping Duck mattresses both have five layers. However, the Sleeping Duck mattress is unique in that it offers an interchangeable top layer. This can be set to either a medium or hard firmness rating, or even half and half. Let's take a look at the layers in more detail:
- Cover – A two-tone white and grey cover, which is 100% polyester on top and a blend of polyester and polypropylene on the sides.
- Top Layer – A 3cm layer of responsive and breathable poly foam, providing softness, cooling and bounce.
- Second Layer – A 3cm layer of memory foam, designed to provide support, pressure relief and body contouring for the mattress.
- Third Layer – A 3cm layer of transition poly foam to provide a transition from the top layers to the base foam.
- Bottom Layer – A 12cm of high-density support foam to provide a breathable foundation.
- Cover – A two-tone white and grey cover, made from a blend of rayon from bamboo on the top and polyester side panels. The cover is also completely removable.
- Top Layer – A 1.9cm latex foam layer, designed to provide most of the cooling, bounce and comfort.
- Second Layer – A 1.9cm memory foam layer, which works with the top layer to create pressure relief and contouring.
- Third Layer – A 6.4cm of polyfoam, to aid pressure relief and provide support. The polyfoam also acts as a transitional layer.
- Bottom Layer – A 21.6cm of pocketed coils, providing deep compression support and the foundation for the mattress as a whole.
The Casper mattress is 24cm in depth, whilst the Sleeping Duck is a whopping 30.5cm in depth. As you can see, they are constructed in a very different fashion.
Firmness, Comfort and Support
The Casper mattress has a medium firmness rating. As discussed previously, the Sleeping Duck mattress can have either a medium or hard firmness, or half and half. Let's look at the pros and cons of each mattress in this department.
- The Casper does a good job of keeping sleepers cool and comfortable, whilst still providing comfort.
- Softer top layers than some mattresses, meaning that there is a little more sinkage. Some sleepers will obviously prefer this!
- Good support in all sleeping positions, but has much softer edge support than many mattresses.
- Could feel unsupportive if you are of a heavier build.
- The Sleeping Duck is notable for its ability to keep sleepers cool and does not retain any heat.
- The layer of microcoils help to create a good level of sinkage without any pressure points being created, and the 5-zone system means that the mattress adapts quickly to any sleeping position.
- The hybrid design of the mattress means that the mattress has a good level of bounce, as well as good motion transfer.
- The contour and hug of the Sleeping Duck provides a great mix of sinkage, contour and support.
Both companies come with a 10-year guarantee and a 100 night trial period. If you're not satisfied, both will offer a full refund. The mattresses both have free delivery and arrive compressed in a box.
Which mattress is best for me?
Both mattresses offer appealing factors, but here are some points to consider when deciding which best meets your requirements.
We'd recommend this mattress if:
- You don't mind a lack of edge support and aren't of a heavier build.
- You want a medium firmness mattress, which provides good feel, comfort and support to most sleepers.
- You want a mattress with little motion transfer.
- You want a mattress that is ever so slightly cheaper in most size options.
We'd recommend this mattress if:
- You want to be able to choose between medium and firm mattresses, as well as having the chance to trial both options.
- You want a hybrid mattress. The hybrid design provides great support, cooling, edge support, response and bounce and is still very reasonably priced.
- You want a cooler mattress that stays cool and comfortable throughout the night.
- You want a supportive mattress that adapts quickly and doesn't allow any pressure spots to form.
You can view more information about these mattresses below.